Sunday, July 6, 2014

Catnip and Nettle Clouds

Today I was dealing with catnip and nettles.  Well, the truth is, Mom dealt with the nettles for me (kind of) and I dried the catnip in the oven.  An all day project that really isn't a big deal but I like to make it sound harder than it is.  Sadly, I left my camera in the corner, so no step by step action this time.  What I will say is, out of a huge Aldi bag of catnip, I got a good 3 cups of dried tea.  I was surprised too.  Like, is that it?  Yeah?  Oh.  As for the nettles, they need to be strained after boiling and frozen in ice cube trays.  This year just seems to be slim pickings for the nettle population.  Maybe I just need more country friends with pasture to hunt them.  Wiley lil' buggers.  Anyway, Catnip drying is strong!  I think people can get almost as much out of catnip as cats do in terms of a high, but you need volumes.  I swear I felt a lil' woozy after sticking my head in the oven to check the dryness level of my nip and the blast of musky heat hit me in the face.  Or maybe not.  I smell awesome and skunky today though regardless.  
What do I do with it?  Catnip tea is AMAZING to calm a sour/upset/painful/gassy stomach.  I mix it with mint and drink it on bad belly days.  The nettles are good for aches, pains, arthritis, and inflammatory-type ailments among others.  We add an ice cube of it to drinks, brew it in the morning coffee or take it as a tea.  It's pretty bitter, so to mix it with something more pleasant is definitely okay, i.e. coffee. 
Next on my list is more nettles (we all use a lot) and I see some wild chamomile growing, but I want to wait just a little bit longer with that so I get blossoms.  It works the same, I just think the dried blossoms are pretty. 
Tomorrow is a new day.  Let's see what it brings me...

No comments:

Post a Comment