Friday, January 23, 2015

The twice lost tooth and other...

Emmalyne has had this loose tooth for some time.  I have to admit.  pulling teeth was a nightmare for me. Loose teeth gross me out, pulling off body parts gross me out.  Anything more than a hangnail is really torture...You should see me watch a contortionist.  Disgusting.  I don't actually watch.  Anyway.  Lucas and Emmalyne happen to have the same issue as me in terms of body parts.  Rebecca, not so much, but then, she wants to be a doctor.  So, whatever.
Anyway...Emma has been working on this tooth for a while and it's really been getting ridiculous.  I gave her an ultimatum.  Pull the tooth and she can have lunch at Norske Nook with Uncle Marty.  Lefse is a motivator for me, so...it should be for everyone, right?  Besides, everyone loves Uncle Marty.
So the week has progressed with gentle reminders to work on that tooth, answered with, "I am wiggling it with my tongue only!" That being said, I tucked her into bed on Wednesday evening with the wiggly tooth safely in place.
On Thursday morning she walked into my bedroom and grinned.  Toothless.
Me:  "WHAT!?  Your tooth is gone!  Horray!  Where is it Timmeh!?"
Emma:  "It's gone."
Me:  "Oh no...did you swallow it in the night?"
Emma:  "No."
Me:  "Well, where is it?"
Emma:  "Under my pillow."
Well, I looked, but a tiny tooth left naked without a tooth pillow in a mountain of pillows, blankets, and stuffies, makes for a very needle-in-a-haystack situation.  Luckily, mom has always been a pretty crappy fairy, so lunch with Uncle Marty is good enough.  On the bright side, she has the best lisp now...

In other news, Whipping is going well.  I have learned the circus whip, the overhead, and the slow figure of 8.  The only real injuries being incurred are the bruises on my left hand from the slow figure of 8 on that side.  Obviously, my left hand and arm are weaker than my right and as it gets fatigued, I lose control of the end of my whip.  often times, it ends up backlashing onto my knuckles. I really want a better whip, since my cheap one is already falling apart.  I had to replace the fall after only 3 days and i've had to re-plait the end due to falling apart a couple of times now.  Since I've only been at this a week, I'm sad.  So, yesterday, Curt needed to take a trip to Wally World for a new lunch box for work and while there, I bought up 7 hanks of paracord to build my first stock whip!  HA!  Thanks to YouTube, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing...So far, I have the core done, which I shot loaded (there are BB's inside) for weight and control.  Already, it is so much better!  Next is a 4-plait belly (layer), and then a final 12-plait belly.  Instead of making a steel core handle, I am going on a hunt for a pretty piece of diamond willow to make into a custom handle.  It's gonna be pretty :)  But, the best part is, I will have a quality, loud, durable whip for the same price as the leather cheap one.
My ultimate goal is to be able to know enough to put on a good show for the pickle fest and Old West in the Hills.  I want to be able to hit a few targets and also have a bit of a lesson on the history and use of the whip for the Old West Festival.  Here's hoping I have a handle on things before June 19th.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment