Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Rødgrød and poisoned fishies...a Viking Tale.

We had such plans for this Thanksgiving, but it seems that they weren't meant to be.  Really, its fine.  Thanksgiving never was a huge deal for the family anyway.  Everyone was so hyperfocused on deer hunting that Thanksgiving always played second fiddle; however, there was the Norwegian tradition of eating Lutefisk during the holidays and this may be  the very first year that my dad is not here to enforce the Luti.  That being said, I just went down to the corner store and grabbed a Lutefisk.

Now, growing up with the luti, I can explain a few things to those who have never had it.
1.  Lutefisk is usually a cod, soaked in a brine of lye.  Yes.  Lye.  and then it is dried.
2. To prepare it, it is soaked in salt water for a couple of days until it rehydrates, then it is boiled while wrapped up in a cotton dish cloth.  Served with tons of butter and potatoes (usually mashed).
3.  There is a trick to it to keep the fish from getting slimy.  I guess my mom is a pro.  I personally can't get past the smell while it boils.  The texture is kind of firm, flaky, but almost jelly-like.  Fish flavored jelly.  Yep.  thats about it.  You either love it or you hate it.  This year I am trying again, preparing it by baking instead of boiling.  Maybe it will prove itself different. It's a tradition.  You don't have to love it, you just have to do it.

I suppose you are wondering then, why on earth did anyone decided to soak the fish in lye?  Isn't lye poisonous?  Yes.  Yes it is.  Legend states that while my ancestors, the Vikings, were running around pillaging and tearing up in Scotland, the Scots decided they would attempt to poison the blood thirsty Viking bullies by pouring lye on their food stores--food stores mainly consisting of dried fish.  The Vikings, after a hard day carousing and raising hell, went back to their ship and subsequently to their supper. Supper consisting of, the "poisoned" fish.  Instead of dying, the Vikings thought it was awesome and declared the fish a delicacy, hence, making Lutefisk a national treasure.  Personally, I think its really cool that my bloodline is so badass that poisoned fishies are delicious!

So, tomorrow, I am baking some tainted cod, making potatoes, lefse, and maybe I will try my hand at a little Rødgrød.  WOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment