Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The bees are dead...

It's fall!
I have mixed feelings.  The roof on Slum Mansion still needs to be taken care of.  My landlord is far more worried about getting the rent than she is forking out a new roof.  I guess when the porch finally caves in...

The neighbor lady gave the kids some pumpkins she grew in her garden.  I never pay for pumpkins.  There is always someone on the verge of throwing them over the fence to the cows.  Since Halloween has never been a big deal over here, the kids could care less, but they always put in a half effort to carve.  Lucas get the face on his, Emmalyne wanted to draw hers with a sharpie and Rebecca carved, but never popped the pieces out, so it looks whole.  It's an underwhelming collection of pumpkin. The dog enjoyed all of the pumpkin innards though.  He ate every scrap, and there are only a few seeds as evidence that there was any carving done at all.

Emma did, however, get a loose tooth this past weekend.  It obviously has been loose for a while, because when she finally told me, it was barely hanging and all wonky in the socket.  I explained to her that she was becoming a big girl and that her baby teeth have to come out to make room for the big teeth.  She promptly started crying and denying that she was even close to being a big girl, and she needed to keep all her teeth.  there was a lot of drama and a hard-core resistance to even wiggling the tooth.  But, come out it did and the action freaked her out to the point that there was a fresh batch of tears and new drama.  I really can't blame her.  I hated tooth pulling and to this day, I avoid dealing with it while I can.

Status post offending tooth removal.  Notice
the snot glistening at the corner of her nostril.  Residue from the 
trauma. 

I asked her what she would like to tooth fairy to bring her.  In our house, the tooth fairy delivers
according to supply and demand.  Emma requested a dolphin.  
I sat down directly and got started crocheting one in hopes of getting it complete
before she woke up in the morning.  
Round about midnight, he was complete and the trade was made.  

The nose ended up a bit bulbous, but really, it was an 8-hour timed birthing.  I really had no time to rip out stitches and alter genetic make up.   She was excited nonetheless and his name is Chachey.   He is currently sleeping on my bed with Creepy Doll, Scull, and Pull, the plastic long-horn. 

We unexpectedly ran out of Lp this weekend and had to live a day with no heat.  It wasn't that bad, but Tiny Wiener is really, really a Wiener.  He laid claim to the electric throw blanket. 

And, I made the bed.  Really, when I make the bed, its like a porch light to bugs.  Kids and dogs just show up to wrestle.

and nap...

And, I got a curtain for Slum Mansion.  My bedroom, since I moved my work station up here, has bugged me.  The window is quite crumbly and old and...plexiglass.  When all I did was sleep up here, I really paid no attention.  Then when I tried to wash the window, the actual window sash fell apart and the window stayed looking the same.   So I hung a curtain.  

Yes yes.  My landlord is supposed to be fixing all this.  
It seems my lease has a clause that says I have the option to buy, which makes the landlord responsibilities
optional.  I purchased a window to install, but it will be a big deal, so it isn't done yet.  We have to make the hole wider, re-frame it all.  Whatever.  It will get done when it gets done.  I am not allowed to take on the task.  My carpentry skills will leave us way worse off than a dirty, crumbling plexiglass window. 







No comments:

Post a Comment