Monday, September 10, 2012

the choker experiment


Okay, I am supposed to be working at my "real" job, but I really wanted to post this quick.  First, "the story."

So, year ago my mom gave me a box filled with tons of crochet hooks that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother.  I was thrilled, but both of them were doily makers and most of these hooks are teenie weenie!!!  With the hooks came a bag of cotton thread that you used them with.  basically, string.  not yarn, not something bulky and quick and warm.  String.  Thread even.  As an impatient artist, I lovingly put these hooks to the side along with the thread and convinced myself that I would NEVER have the patience for anything less than worsted weight and a size H hook.  The other day, I was looking for lace applique to make jewelry and realized, it looked just like the doilies my grandmas made, only not round...

So,  I went looking for patterns, but as I said before, I am super impatient.  So, the pattern thing never really does me any good because after the first couple of rows or whatever, I go all independent freelancer and do what the hell I want.  I managed to work out a little something.  Of course, it's freehand, so there is no exact numbers, which adds to the wonky appearance; however, the deed has been done.  I made me a choker with one of my grandma's teenie weenie hooks and some of her string.  TA DAAAAA!   I am currently blocking it which is why you see all the pins, but you get the drift of what I was experimenting for.


Now, will I do it again?  Hmmmmmmm...it IS terribly cool, though my hand was not loving the tiny hook.  I may need to fashion a more ergonomic grip on these hooks before trying again, but yeah.   I can do this.  Hi grandma (s)!  I did it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment