Thursday, September 5, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

After the Cowboy Shoot championships I got a week before the Labor Day fair here in town kicked off.  I can't believe how this little tiny town of 200 people can explode overnight to a full blow carnival with thousands of people.

This year, mom did not want to do the Labor Day yard party that was one of my Dad's favorite part of the year.  I struggle with how she is dropping these traditions right and left now that dad's gone.  We don't have a Christmas anymore, no thanksgiving, no Labor day.  Sigh.

Anyway, with the weekend freed up, I was able to purchase a spot at the farmer's market for my jewelry.  I did okay.  I was the new kid on the block, so there was a lot of cards being handed out and introductions.  Lots of questions about my methods and ideas on recycling and inspiration.  Considering I was surrounded by the traditional watermelon vendors, quilts, and canned goods I ended up with an enjoyable string of valid artsy questions and comments.  Between the two events, I grossed $200.00, which I think is pretty good for a first year of live sales. I was even invited to be a featured vendor at a new eclectics store that will be opening this fall in Prairie Farm.

School started for the spawn on Tuesday.  Lucas is now a Freshman in high school and as such, he gets to choose his electives.  This year his art credit will be in Game Design, which, if you know my Lucas, is something he is EXTREMELY passionate about.  He also managed to finally sprout some zits, so he has finally blossomed into a gangly/angsty teen.

Dean will be taking the test for his GED this month and finally hold a diploma.  He is going into the plumber's union as an apprentice.  He has been home for several months and clean/sober, working odd jobs, but overall holding his own.  He has grown so much in the last year.  Next week, he will turn 20.  I'm extremely proud of him.

My new job is getting better.  I was unhappy with the platform and the training sucks.  I am left to my own devices most of the time, which is always difficult for a new editor, but its getting better as I learn more.  I'm finally making line and hopefully will be back up to my 2K a day and making the big bucks again before we get to far behind around here.

1 week from Friday I will be having a weekend out with some girlfriends in Menominee Falls.  Usually during this time I would be going to Madison, but its not going to work out.  So, Menominee Falls it is.  I have a room for 2 nights at the Radisson and we will be raising hell at AJ O'Brady's and AJ Live all weekend. Since all 3 of us are moms with older kids, this is one of those 30-something old lady weekends pretending to be kid-less, spouse-less and completely irresponsible.  I'm pretty much looking forward to the much needed vacation.  I hear my husband is planning a hairy man get away himself at the cabin with his hommies.  I am seeing some chest beating and howling at the moon.  This is good.  We both need at least 2 wild nights before the snow flies and we are all locked up in this house together for another winter.  I am currently making plans for Halloween :)  I LOVE having older kids that can take care of themselves and each other once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment