Friday, August 10, 2012

ass and chicken liver, a moment of reckoning

You know, as a youngster, we butchered our own chickens.  My dad never kept the livers, so I have to say, I've never eaten a chicken liver, mostly because my dad never liked them.  So, I am dressing a chicken to go into the oven and inside the butt-cavity is a little package with the heart, gizzard and liver.  I pull the liver out, look at it, smell it, heft it in my hand for a second.  Its kind of slimy, smells like meat, but also something more...After a few seconds, I offer it to the dog.  Now, Squish is more picky of the two garbage disposals, so I wasn't really surprised when I threw the liver in the dog dish and, after a couple of earnest sniffs, Squish looked up at me with his big round eyes asking me as only a little dog can, if I am trying to kill him by making him eat this pig slop.   I  then call over to Noodle, the more reliable of the disposals, to investigate.  After a couple of earnest sniffs, he too looks at me with disdain and goes back to his spot to resume licking his rear end.  Obviously his ass tastes better than a chicken liver. I'll take your word for it Noon.


No comments:

Post a Comment